Cacao, the purest form of chocolate that can be indulged, is more than just another trendy superfood. The Mayans call it ‘The Food of the Gods’ for a reason.
Here are our 10 science-based facts that make cacao the ‘Ultimate’ superfood:
1. It is considered as a powerful nutraceutical because of its antioxidant capacity. Studies have shown that raw cacao has a higher ORAC (oxidant radical absorbance capacity) than acai, blueberry, pomegranate or green tea.
2. Unlike processed dark chocolate and roasted cacao, antioxidants are preserved in raw cacao. Roasting reduces concentration of key nutrients in cacao beans as well as the antioxidant activity.
3. Cacao extracts have been suggested to play a major role in the treatment and the prevention of certain disease including including diabetes, cancer, inflammation and cardiovascular disease.
4. Cacao is rich in polyphenols, particularly Flavonoids which have been shown to have beneficial health effects.
5. Because of their anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties, dietary Flavonoids have been identified as potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of thyroid cancer, breast cancer, inflammatory disorders and cardiovascular disease.
6. Clovomide is another potent antioxidant found in cacao and cacao extracts.
7. Clovomide and its related compounds have been shown to exert neuroprotective effects, thus, they have been proposed as promising treatment option for Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
8. Cacao is also a powerful source of essential minerals that play a critical role in the human body. It has the highest amount of magnesium than any other food.
9. Magnesium plays a major role in disease prevention and overall health. Magnesium deficiency has been associated with a number of chronic diseases, including migraines, Alzheimer’s diseases, stroke, hypertension, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
10. Cacao is packed with methylxanthines, salsolinol and theobromine which are all believed to be mood-enhancing nutrients.
Here at Rokit pods we don’t just follow trends; we select our health-promoting ingredients based on facts and evidence.