Here's our Top 10 Turmeric facts:
1. Turmeric is a native plant to South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent and its deep golden yellow powder is used to flavour curries and as a colouring agent.
2. It has been used in Asia for thousands of years, and is huge part of Ayurveda, Siddha and ancient Chinese medicine, and was actually found in the remnants of mixing bowls dating far back as 2500BC.
3. Turmeric, along with saffron was used to dye the robes of Buddhist monks the deep golden orange colour we see today.
4. Turmeric contains Curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory compound which helps maintain joints health, and may also be able to reduce swelling and pain for those suffering with osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis.
5. It is often used in skincare to help with skin blemishes and to soothe irritations.
6. It is high in anti-oxidants and as several metabolic diseases and age-related degenerative disorders are closely associated with oxidative processes in the body, the use of herbs and spices as a source of antioxidants is a matter of intensive ongoing research.
7. There is another active ingredient in turmeric, called Tumerone. Studies are underway on this little known compound, as it is though it may be able to support cognitive health too and perhaps be a support for those suffering with Alzheimer's disease.
8. It is believed the best method to encourage the body to absorb Curcumin is to blend it with black pepper!
9. This compound may even improve the function of the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, important for controlling blood sugar levels, according to a study published in Diabetes Care in 2012.
10. It is said that turmeric could "cure anything from a cancer to a cough" and is the subject of many research studies worldwide, discovering the truth of the powder of turmeric and its active ingredients.
Phew! It's enough to make you rush to make another Turmeric Latte isn't it?